Since opening in winter 1988 our goal has always been to bring the freshest quality coffee to coffee lovers. While it seems completely natural now, this was not commonplace at the time. Diners were still serving “box” coffee and Indie cafes hadn’t yet sprung up, it would be years before all that happened.
Meanwhile, one customer at a time, we roasted our coffee beans onsite and started to educate people about green coffee, its origins and the importance of freshness. Over the years, our customers have become raving fans; more and more people learned that fresh-roasted quality coffees are worth going out of the way to enjoy both in our cafe and at home.
It is this dedication to small artisan roasting that still sets us apart from the crowd. We roast everyday and you can taste it in every cup.
- It goes without saying that the coffee must be of the highest quality. Independent 3rd party audit allows for the transparency we require to be assured that our coffee is socially, environmentally and economically responsible. The labels that you associate with fairness include Fairtrade, UTZ Certified, Organic, Rainforest Alliance and Grower Direct Cooperatives.
- Many of our loose leaf teas fall under the Ethical Tea Partnership and many are also organic.
- We make an annual donation of 25 bedroll kits to Sleeping Children around the World, a non-denominational organization where 100% of the money reaches the children. www.SCAW.org
- For three days in early December the staff collect and donate their tips to the Assaulted Women’s Helpline. Coffee Tree matches all collected money; last December 2011 we raised $1000. www.AWHL.org
- We support The Salvation Army with a generous annual Christmas donation.
- Our silent fundraiser “The Annual Barrel Benefit” auctions off an empty Jamaican Blue Mountain Barrel. You support your fave charity and we match your donation. Donations include Scott Mission, Covenant House.
- We also support all kinds of local school and business fundraisers and promotions throughout the year and local sports teams.
- We reduce, reuse and recycle on an ongoing basis through the city’s organic waste collection, blue box, cardboard and yellow bag programs. If you want spent coffee grounds for your garden or coffee sacks to wrap your roses in the fall, let us know.
- We also embrace energy conservation where we can and have replaced all our fridges over time with energy star appliances. Even our light bulbs and toilets are environmentally correct! We turn our lights off every night and keep the doors closed when the A/C is on.
- We support using biodegradable paper products including bio-cups and give you 15c off for bringing your own cup.
“…the best coffee in all Toronto!” -Brian D., Toronto
“The coffee at Coffee Tree is the best I’ve had – when I go on vacation I make sure to take some with me!” -Carolyn C., Toronto
“Definitely unique and to be valued.” -Les B., Toronto
“Any neighbourhood would be lucky to have this yummy-smelling 20-year-old independent roastery and cafe as its social centre.” -Toronto Life 08/09 Guide to Real Estate